The General election
FYT asked “What’s your top issue?" You said... NHS and Care
A Comparison of the two main parties' pledges.
- £20.5bn for NHS
- More ££ for NHS pension crisis
- 40 new hospitals/10 years
- 20 hospitals get £1.8bn cash
- £5bn for social care
- 6000 more GPs
- 50,000 more nurses
- Ban hospital parking fees for some and NHS staff
- £26bn for NHS
- Focus on cutting waiting times
- Ban private provision in the NHS
- Set up state-run drugs co
- £10.8bn free personal care 65+
- Free prescriptions/dental checks/hospital parking
- Increase training places for GPs
- 27m more GP appts/year
Overall, do the parties spending 💸 plans stack up?
Independent think tank Institute of Fiscal Studies says neither party is being “honest” with voters or offering “credible” spending plans.
Katie Price declared bankrupt
Her entire £45m fortune has gone
The former reality TV star and glamour model ‘Jordan’, 41, was declared bankrupt last week
But she didn’t stick to the plan so the Official Receiver will now run her ££ affairs and property.
A lavish lifestyle caused her ££ problems
- £120,000/year on housekeepers, gardeners and nannies
- £2000/month on heating bills
- £1500/week on manicures/pedicures
IVA quick facts:
- A legal agreement
- A repayment plan over time
- Don’t have to sell home
- On credit file for 6 years
Having broken the IVA, bankruptcy rules will force the sale of Price’s £2m 9 bed 12 acre home
It has a license to print money
But UK’s banknote printer has ££ troubles
De La Rue, the 198 year old British company, reported a £12m loss last week.
There’s “significant doubt” whether it can continue as a growing concern.
What does De La Rue do?
- designs/prints notes for central banks around the world
- smart security for passports
- Employs 2600 people, over half in the UK
What’s gone wrong?
- UK’s post-Brexit passports contract went to a French co
Venezuela’s central bank didn’t pay its £18m bill.
- The Chairman, CEO and others all left
- De La Rue designed the new £20 polymer note coming in Feb 2020
The Bank of England discovered 228,000 forged banknotes Jan - June 2019
Nearly 90% were….
It’s a burden being the breadwinner
Men get stressed out when they’re the sole breadwinner
but they get anxious too if their partners earn the same as, or more than, they do - so says research from Bath Uni.
Dr Joanna Syrda, economist, said the results show how…
“strong and persistent” gender identity norms are
Advent calendars for £100k upset charities
- Two advent calendars from famous jewellers cost up to £100,000
- One from Beaverbrooks features a platinum diamond ring worth £26k behind one door.
- Tiffany’s offer trinkets worth up to £13,000
Andrea Williams, chief exec of Christian Concern said:
“these play to the basest of our human instincts”
Deborah Auty, Christian Aid said:
“the same amount of money could provide safe shelter for more than 500 families in Afghanistan"